Monday, July 11, 2011

Get A Leg Up ...

The mountains were majestic, the snow like cotton rolling down a hill.  The peaceful quiet allowing a snapped twig to resonate almost with an echo.

The ski week was over and now it was time to return home. Time to face my family and friends with the realization that, yes, I was returning home injured, leg immobilized in a cast. I think my Mother's concerned look, as I limped off the plane, was the first thing I saw. Then my Father grinning, because he thought I was just kidding and trying to get a rise from my Mother.  But, all kidding aside, I truly was injured.  It was diagnosed as a torn medial collateral ligament in my left knee.  I was referred to an Orthopedist, and everyone who knew me was anxiously awaiting my first visit with him.  After the appointment, everyone was saying, "Isn't he just gorgeous?"  But to tell you the truth, my knee hurt so badly, and he had to draw so much fluid off of it, that I didn't think he looked a bit good.  However, I will say, that as my knee improved, so did he.  I ended up thinking he was pretty dang gorgeous!

I was casted for nearly four weeks with a full leg cast. My leg was absolutely straight with a cast extending from the ankle to the very top of my thigh.  I had gotten really good at maneuvering with this cast.  It was at least weightbearing, so no crutches were needed after the first several days. After tumbling down a flight of stairs, holding school books, I realized that I had to go DOWN the stairs with the bad leg first, and UP the stairs with the bad leg last.  It just didn't work any other way.

One night, about 3 weeks into the injury, I went to a darling little restaurant/cafe with friends. It was called Hearthstone Tavern, and the decor was a bit on the rustic side. I had dolled up pretty well, with wide leg pants that camouflaged the cast quite well.  I only needed to get to the table, sit down, and I would look as normal as everyone else in the restaurant. 

We were seated almost immediately, and I limped to the table with as much grace as I could muster.  Our table was a small round bistro type with four rattan chairs. The chairs were the kind that slanted slightly back with longer legs in the front and shorter legs in the back. We all sat down, and we ordered our round of drinks. Since I was off my pain medications now, I ordered my favorite Margarita. 

Before the waiter returned, I felt like my chair was just a tad bit further back from the table than I thought it should be.  So ... I cupped my fingers under the seat and scooched forward.  My life flashed before my eyes when I realized the chair was tipping over backwards.  Unable to stop the motion, and with my leg in plaster and casted absolutely straight, it came straight up under the table, and it flipped the entire table over and behind me.  You cannot even imagine the waiter's face when he showed up at our table, tray of drinks in hand to find hilarious laughter by my three friends, me on my back in the middle of the floor, with my left leg absolutely straight and completely perpendicular to the ceiling.  With my friends unable to get their breath, and me physically unable to help myself or get up ... were were just a complete mess.  The waiter blubbered something like, "How can I help?" Which just caused more raucous laughter. 

I think I finally rolled over on my right side, got up on my good knee, and was finally able to drag my bad leg up behind me. I guess I can at least be thankful the table wasn't full of food and drink, and none of us were impaled by flying dinnerware.   We were able to gather our composure and actually had a good dinner and good evening. But, every time there was a lull in conversation, the giggles would begin all over again.  And, we all knew that we were going to have to make an exit and get out of there, without causing anymore disruption.  What a night!   Talk about getting a leg up on things.

This post is an answer to the challenge by The Red Dress Club to write of one of our most embarrassing moments.

4 comments:

  1. Hilarious story. I could see the whold thing unfolding. Loved it especially the part with you on your back leg straight up in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story just made me laugh & laugh. It's so good to be able to be with good friends when embarrassing things happen. Their joyful laughs can usually help the sting of embarrassment pass quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA oh goodness!! This is actually one of the first good embarassing moments I'm read from this week's RemembeRED! What a win!

    Cassie
    www.fluteitup.com

    ReplyDelete