Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Let's Go!!!!


So, at the age of almost 64, I formally attended my first rally and protest last evening.   Make no bones about it though, this does not mean that I have not cared, been passive, or have had my head in the sand for the other 63 years of my life.  On the contrary, I am quite outspoken about my beliefs, will share conversation with others, and have never been afraid of my beliefs. 

The recent ban on immigration is disturbing on so many fronts.  It has repercussions that most of us cannot even imagine yet or wrap our arms around.   However, I attended the rally for so many other reasons.    I have said so many times, and will continue to state, that this environment has awakened the “silence” of many.  By “silence” I don’t just mean folks not stating their mind in words or action, but “silence” in not truly being aware of how others have lived, been marginalized, while others have been so privileged. As a white woman, I cannot fathom, let alone understand what our African American friends and neighbors have lived.   I have never considered myself a racist, a bigot, or thought of myself as better than someone else.   I hope I am learning just how misinformed I have been, the rose colored glasses or off!!!!  Nothing can be corrected until we truly understand. I don’t think any of us truly understand. It is impossible, as so, so many of us have not “lived” it!  It is heart breaking.

As I returned home last night, I was contemplative in my car, alone with just my thoughts.  Just how far am I willing to go, what am I willing to do, and do I even know what I can do?   It is overwhelming in every capacity. 

What I do know, is that I stood with thousands last night, male, female, black, brown, yellow, white, gay, straight, adult, children, leaders, followers, every nationality, descendants of immigrants, Christian, Muslim, Jew, and other religions and beliefs that I may be totally unaware or comprehend.   But, we stood together, often shoulder touching shoulder. We listened, we replied, we sang, and yes, I cried.  I cried for all the times I could have done more. I cried for all the folks that are marginalized.  I cried because of my privilege in direct contrast to someone else’s plight.    

For the past few weeks I have felt ready to implode.   I need to do something!  I went to bed last night, feeling that I had taken the first step.  Now the real challenge begins.  How do I put into action assistance and resistance?  Assistance to make a difference to a few or many.  Resistance in never accepting what I know to be less than my beliefs. Resistance to acts that cause further anquish to the marginalized and more privilege to others.   This is the question many ask ourselves. What can I,  or we do?   I don’t have those answers. I wish I did,  because I would sleep better each night knowing that I was active with action.  

Maybe the answer is truly in baby steps.  It may be a phone call to our legislators.  It may be serving lunch to the hungry on the weekend.  It may be donating extra clothes to the poor.  It may be volunteering at services that assist refugees.  It may be donating teaching hours to a poor school that needs mentors after hours.  Volunteer at Big Brothers and Big Sisters.  The opportunities are endless. The fact that our country has so many ways to assist is amazing.     Make that first call. Ask that first question that may lead to a more definitive way.    Yes, awaken, the “silent” activist in yourself.

Somehow I know this won’t be my last rally, my last protest, my last time to stand with so many in diversity,  yet in strength.  I can’t do them all, it is impossible. That does not mean I care more about one cause than the other …  it only means that there is much to do, I am only one person, so I can do what I can do, and I can share with others how they may be able to join in as well.  

Regardless of our religion, our Baptism, our beliefs, we truly are all one race of humanity.  We are strong in our diversity, and we have strength in our differences.  Embrace it and let’s go!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment