Friday, March 30, 2012

My Gift From Above

Four years ago today, my sweet little Gracie Lou was born. When she was born, my 14 ½ year-old Bichon, Chelsea was fighting liver cancer, which we all knew was pretty much futile. When Gracie Lou was born, we had no idea our paths would cross, and in the not too distant future.

Chelsea passed away on April 8, 2008. My heart was absolutely broken, and it ached with grief, but was full of sweet memories. Within a few weeks I found myself very cautiously in contact with a Bichon breeder in Logansville, GA. When talking with him about the potential of an available puppy, I was told that he had puppies that had been born on March 30, and another litter that had been born on April 4.  I was so unsure whether my heart was ready for a new dog, having just lost the love of my life a few weeks before. But, when he said he had a little girl  available from the March 30 litter, I knew someone was speaking to me.  March 30 is the anniversary of my Mother’s death, and I knew, I just knew that Mother was sending me this puppy.    My answer was yes! Yes, I want this puppy!

On June 7, 2008 a friend, Robin, and I drove to Georgia to pick up Gracie Lou.  Another very special friend of mine lived in Marietta, GA, and she also went with us to get Gracie.  I remember the breeder coming to the door, and he had a puppy in each hand.  One was quietly resting in his hand, and the other was half dangling in his other hand, wiggling, and with all four legs going in every direction.   How would I choose?    I’ve always heard that animals will pick you. So, I sat down on the floor, and he put the puppies down. One came on a dead tear across the floor and scaled my arm. Kisses abounded on my ears, face, fingers, arms; anything that little tongue could reach.  I would sit this puppy aside and try to pick up the other one, and here she would come again. She would wedge herself between me and her sister puppy, and kiss, kiss, kiss.  It was as if she were saying, “It’s me! It’s me!  Pick me!  Pick me!  I’m the one you’ve been calling Gracie since you decided to get another best friend.”  I actually believe this little puppy got up on that special Saturday, June 7, and said, “I need to get ready.  This is the day my Mommy is coming from Indiana to get me.”  I do think she would have physically tripped me, if I had tried to get out the door without her.  All  2 ½ pounds of her.

Out the door Gracie and I went. She never looked back, she never seemed to question where she was, or where she was going.  She left with gusto. She nestled on my shoulder tucked under my chin.  Robin drove for the first couple of hours, and I held my new family member. As tears streaked down my face, remembering and missing Chelsea, already in love with Gracie, I kissed my little girl and told her I would take care of her for the rest of her life. I said to her, “You are safe and secure in Mommy’s care.”  I still to this day say this to her nightly, as I kiss her goodnight.

She has been with me for four years, and she is still the same vibrant dog as she was when she was just a little puppy.  She is funny, confident, and full of joy.  My life would not be as complete without her.   Her name fits her perfectly … Gracie Lou … Gracie for the grace sent to me by my beloved Chelsea, and Lou after my Mother, Louisa, who I know, I just know sent me this puppy.

1 comment:

  1. Sam picked me the same way. I sat in the middle of all the puppies (labs have HUGE litters) and she crawled up my arm and licked my nose. Her parents' owner just laughed and said he knew all along she was going to be the one for me :)

    ReplyDelete