Monday, April 18, 2011

The Holiest of Friday's

It is the holiest of Friday's for Christians. This last Friday in Lent ... this most holy Good Friday.  The color of the Bishop's, priest's, and deacon's vestments are in reverence to His blood and also the Holy Spirit.  The cloth draped over the cross for veneration the same sacred color.  When I come forward for the Veneration of the Cross, bow, and kiss the cross, it is truly the most solemn of actions in my Catholic heritage.

It is not about the fish fries or whether I've been able to hold true to my fasting from my beloved pasta.  It is the culmination of the last 40 days of prayer, meditation, reflection, and renewal of my baptismal promise.

I remember as a child the Passion of Our Lord being read on Good Friday.  I remember the shifting from foot to foot and wondering if the priest would ever come to the end of the story.  Thankful that it was only read during this one period of time throughout the year. Glad, when at the end, he finally would say, "The Passion of Our Lord."  As a child was it even possible to understand what we had just heard?  And, as an adult, is it possible to absolutely comprehend the love that drives our salvation?  So often we get caught up in the mysticism of our faith, and we forget that this was a man in flesh and blood, with a mother and father, and friends who loved Him.  This man, made to carry the burden of His cross, and suffer unbearably so our sins could be forgiven. 

I find myself trying to stretch this into a longer written piece, when in reality I am not even worthy to approach this subject.  I will leave it where it is, and on Good Friday, when I see the Bishop, priest, and deacon enter the church in their vibrant vestments, my mind will be on the prayerful lyrics of a beautiful song written by Timothy R. Smith, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross"...

"See from his head, his hands, his feet, Sorrow and love flow mingled down!  Did e'er such love and sorrow meet, or thorns compose so rich a crown?"   ... "Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all."


The Red Dress Club has challenged us to write  about the color red without using the word "red." I was inspired by Holy Week.

7 comments:

  1. A beautiful and compelling post. I hope next year to be able to attend the Good Friday service at the Cathedral!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so lovely. thankyou for directing this post towards salvation and grace a great way to start the day. much love. jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post brought back vivid memories of my childhood in church, walking through the stations of the cross and trying desperately to be quietly respectful without really understanding. You are right - how can a child who has never felt true passion fully understand the Passion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, you captured red, and the sanctity of this season. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Tenebrae
    A tradiditon passed down church generation to generation (Lutheran for me). What AMAZING JOY to return Sunday morning where the alter is no longer black...

    Beautiful post
    ~d

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always strikes me how much religion has to do with heritage. I'm not catholic, but sometimes I wish my religion had more involvement with the holidays. It was lovely visiting your memories. :)

    ReplyDelete