Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fall In The Arms of God

“Fall in the arms of God”… a beautiful lyric in one of the songs our choir sings by the name of “Come Rest In The Arms of God.”

This line, this brief phrase, “Fall in the arms of God” speaks to me in a most powerful yet gentle way. Can you imagine, can you even imagine truly falling into the arms of God?  I know I may feel this way when I pray and I need His strength.  I know I spiritually feel safe in His arms, but I am truly thinking about the human connection, the literal I really know and completely understand.  “Fall in the arms of God.”

Blessed Mother Theodore Guerin, founder of the Sisters of Providence, is quoted, “What will Heaven be if our poor earth is at times so beautiful?”

This writing is dedicated to a dear friend. She has been fighting cancer for five years. During this time, she has approached her illness with bravery, humor, and a faithfulness unparalleled. She has taught all of us how to live with cancer, and how to accept what God sends our way.   She has now stopped all treatment and is in Hospice care.  She recently sent all of us, her choir friends, a note.  In it she says, “I don’t know what is going to happen, when, or how long it will take.  I feel good today, and I will just take it day by day.”   What strength!

I envision her crossing through the door of Heaven and falling into the arms of God. What beauty must await her and all of us, His faithful.

6 comments:

  1. Inspiring! My prayers are with your friend - she sounds like a remarkable woman. So often what touches me most during Mass is not the homily or the prayers, but the lyrics in the hymns. "Falling into the arms of God" - that is a truly comforting phrase no matter what joys or sorrows the day brings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice post. I have never thought about falling into the arms of God... what a powerful image. May God bless your friend. Praying for her, my husband and others with cancer, on this World Cancer Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those of us who are Type A, falling into the arms of God is difficult, if not down right scary. I have such a hard time relinquishing control, and telling God, "I cannot do this alone!" ... that's something He knows all too well ... and is very patient with me until I figure it out.

    I was not familiar with Blessed Mother Theodore Guerin until I read the book, A Book of Catholic Saints for Mothers .. she's sort of local for us, here in Kentucky. I was struck by her devotion to teaching and success in overcoming obstacles in her life.

    Thanks so much for coming by Saints and Scripture Sunday! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Falling into the arms of God is hard for those of us who are type A! I have a hard time giving up control, or asking God for help. He knows I can't do this alone, and is very patient until I figure it out!

    I recently read about Blessed Mother Theodore Guerin in my book of saints for Catholic moms, and was struck by her devotion to teaching, and success in overcoming struggles in her life.

    Thanks for coming by Saints and Scripture Sundays! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what I love about sacred music--the way, every once in a while, a sentiment you could never express in conversation has the power to rip open the curtain and move you to a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post and what an inspiration your friend is. I like the quotes also. I don't guess I've ever heard the song, but I would like to. I'm sure it is beautiful. It certainly presents a wonderful message.
    Thank you for sharing on Spiritual Sundays.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete