Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Fifth Decade

I am embarking on my last year of the 50’s.  Yes, the end of the fifth decade. There are several things that come to mind:
  • I’m celebrating the 20th year of my 39th birthday.
  • Or even better, the 30th year of my 29th birthday.
  • I now realize that when I “mourned” my 30th birthday, I didn’t realize just how young I really was.
  • When the big 40 came, I actually felt younger than when I had “celebrated” my 30th.  Somehow 40 actually didn’t have the same impact as 30!
  • Then, of the course, the HUGE 50 came.  I think I had parties of all sorts, and with all different groups of people, for the entire month of February. They extended from Indiana to Florida.  The Midwest to Southern States was put on alert that I was 50.
  • Now I have one more year, before the celebration of 60 commences.
But, call it maturity, or just plain old age, this is what truly comes to mind:
  • God has graced me with 59 glorious years.
  • I have been able to marvel His creation through the eyes of an infant, a toddler, a child, a teenager, a young adult, an adult, and yes, now almost a senior.
  • As an “almost” senior, I have the peace of understanding so many things, so much more, and the worries and the stresses have become less and less with growing just a bit older.
  • I have enjoyed watching my niece blossom from a precious infant to a beautiful young woman.
  • I have been blessed with lifelong friends.  Friends that have been a part of me since we were just barely teenagers. We’ve celebrated graduations together, marriages, children, in some cases divorces, and we’ve been with each other when we’ve buried our parents. There is no price that can be put on this. It is the most precious of gifts.
So, as I turn 59, I won’t be sulking. I won’t be lying about my age.  I will proudly step up and say, “I’m 59 years blessed!”  I receive yet another day to say to my God every morning, “What can I do today to make, those I come in contact with, feel just a bit better?”  I get another opportunity to try again to get it right.  Happy Birthday!

5 comments:

  1. A great way to positively view our aging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...I turn 60 this year in April. I haven't given it much thought. I just find the older I get the richer life is--the more depth there is in living and in my relationship to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to my world. Being a senior isn't so bad but it sure does happen before we know it. I hated my 30th. Didn't mind 40 or 50 too much. I hated 60. Seems like it is kind of a 30 year cycle, so I'm sure I won't like 90. Doesn't seem possible that's less than 15 years away. How could that be? Seems like I was just 30 a short time ago. One great thing is that the older I get the more I realize this life is going to soon be over, and it reminds me how much better the next one is going to be.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm knocking on 40 -- next year, just in time to devise a 40 things by the time I turn 40 list!

    I'm blessed with a wonderful husband, a beautiful (and growing) family, and a ever strengthening faith.

    My 30's have been wonderful -- why would I think my 40s would be any different?

    Thanks for the reminder to look at our lives with thankful eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm knocking on 40 -- next year, just in time to devise a 40 things by the time I turn 40 list!

    I'm blessed with a wonderful husband, a beautiful (and growing) family, and a ever strengthening faith.

    My 30's have been wonderful -- why would I think my 40s would be any different?

    Thanks for the reminder to look at our lives with thankful eyes!

    ReplyDelete